Re: [Debconf-video] Mirrorbrain for debian video archive

On 11/07/15 14:58, Stefano Rivera wrote:
>> - even the "official archive" under meetings-archive.debian.net
>> is just ftp.acc.umu.se?
> That's a mirror of our primary (internal-only) archive. We redirect
> users to ftp.acc.umu.se, as they can handle the traffic better.

meetings-archive.d.n is where all the links to videos point to, and that
is essentially what I would replace. So my point still stands:
HL> I'm just *very* uneasy about having it run on systems not maintained
by Debian
Is a non-argument, as it currently isn't running on systems maintained
by Debian either.

Then you are not aware of https://wiki.debconf.org/wiki/Videoteam/Archive ?

> It'd be a lot more useful if there were more mirrors.

That is undoubtedly true.
But without a proper load distribution in place, it's unlikely that
there will be. Because the ratio of "space used up by the mirror" to
"actual requests for files of that mirror" would be even worse than the
one for debian cdimages. And running a mirror of debian-cd at work, I
can tell you that is not a good ratio, although the cd-image download
page at least _lists_ the mirrors, even though it makes it a PITA to
actually use them. That currently isn't true for the videos, you'd have
to be actively searching for mirrors, and even you (as a team member?)
are unaware they even exist. That pretty much makes them a waste of
space and bandwidth - they're probably wasting more traffic syncing than
they ever serve requests from clients. I wouldn't host a mirror under
that circumstances.