[Debconf-video] Info for using the Opsis board + HDMI2USB for TwinPact replacement

Hi everyone,

I see that "Objective 1: replace twinpact" of the 2015 Video Team Sprints (https://wiki.debian.org/sprints/2015/VideoTeam/SprintNotes) and wanted to give a couple thoughts about using the HDMI2USB as a replacement.

I took your little diagram and created a version which tries to show more options that are available at http://roger.mithis.com/~tim/debconf-options.svg

I've also included a bunch of information below which I think might be helpful when making decisions. I've tried to include estimates by when I think various things will be finished (normal disclaimer about software development timelines and such :).

---

USB Ports
At the moment on the Digilent Atlys with the HDMI2USB firmware you need to use both the Prog and UART USB ports to get functionality working.
This is temporary, hopefully in the coming couple of weeks you will *only* need to use the Prog port for both video and console functionality.
The Opsis only operates in this single USB connection mode as it has only the equivalent to a Prog port.

This means using the exar-uart-driver / vizzini stuff is not needed long term.

You can depend on this working reliably within the next couple of weeks.

---

VGA Capture
A couple of people are working on a "VGA Expansion board" (see https://github.com/timvideos/HDMI2USB-TOFE-VGA) this will enable you do VGA capture without needing an external VGA2HDMI adapter. They don't have this working yet, so short term you'll need to use such an adapter. Longer term I expect the VGA capture board to be more reliable then any external VGA2HDMI adapter.

You can depend on this working reliably by the middle / late next year.

---

VGA Output
We don't have any plans to support VGA output for now. Using an external HDMI2VGA adapter is your best option here.
With the Opsis, DisplayPort2VGA adapters might be a better option but we haven't done any testing here yet.

---

1080p30 Input and Output
We just landed support for enabling 1080p30 input and output on all the HDMI ports. This feature is still experimental and you will likely run into bandwidth issues (both memory and USB) that we have yet to fix but this mode will be fully supported soon.

You can depend on this working reliably within the next couple months.

---

1080p60 Output
With the Atlys board you have no option for 1080p60 output.
With the Opsis board the DisplayPort could be used for 1080p60 output. This has not been tested yet nor confirmed working yet.

You can depend on this working reliably by the early to middle of next year.

---

Ethernet Streaming
There is experimental support for streaming out via the Gigabit Ethernet rather than using USB. This would remove the need for the BeagleBone Black in your proposed set up.
We are currently concentrating on getting the USB streaming solid before working on this, but we would love some help getting this working.

You can depend on this working reliably by the end of next year / early 2017.

---

Mounting in a Case
The Opsis is designed to fit any standard ITX style cases.

I'm using http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LPSC9QE with http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00RKH9V92 but that means you can't use an expansion board.

You can easy standard PCI Express 8x expansion adapters / risers to mount expansion cards sideways.

---

Control GUI
Ryan Verner has been experimenting with creating a little GUI to control the HDMI2USB firmware.
See https://github.com/timvideos/HDMI2USB-misoc-firmware/issues/41 for information.

You can depend on this working reliably within the next couple months.

---

As you are the Debian Video team, there are a couple of things we could get help with packaging for this stuff;

 * The HDMI2USB-mode-switch tool - https://github.com/timvideos/HDMI2USB-mode-switch

 * Updated OpenOCD which include my recent patches for Digilent Atlys / Numato Opsis support.

 * gcc + binutils cross compilers for the lm32 and or1k targets.

 * (maybe?) The prebuilt HDMI2USB-misoc-firmware - https://github.com/timvideos/HDMI2USB-firmware-prebuilt

---

Hope that helps you figure out where things are going with the HDMI2USB project and the Opsis board.

Tim 'mithro' Ansell