Re: [Debconf-video] conferences sound post-processing

On Thu, 2013-08-15 at 18:22 +0200, Jonathan Dupart wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to find a little sound post-processing chain in order to
> improve the sound of the conferences.
>
> So far I have not found the "generic" setup which could be applied on
> every record and, if not enhance, would not made things worse.
>
> For now I think it would be more easy and more efficient to pick up the
> records barely audible or with big sound problems and work individually
> on them.
>
> Two questions :
>
>   - are there complete dv files of each conference (are the files cut
>     and concatenated or is the encoding made directly from the raw dv
>     files) ?

Not necessarily.  In case a recording was interrupted during an event,
all associated DV files will be concatenated during encoding.  This is
not done on disk but as part of a pipeline - see make_source_command()
in dc-do-transcoding.

>   - how hard would it be to redo the encoding of a few files, after a
>     cleaning of the sound tracks ?

Not terribly easy.  But you could do something like:

1. Stop dc-do-transcoding

2 (a) Delete video_target_file rows from the database for the broken
files (I thought there was a proper UI for this, but I don't think there
is), or
(b) Rate the broken files as 'F' and edit dc-do-transcoding to select on
this rating rather than absence (see the first SELECT statement in
get_job_queue())

3. Use dc-do-transcoding --dry-run to generate the commands that would
be run to regenerate those files

4. Edit those commands to insert the sound filter

5. Divide up those commands across the transcoding machines we have, and
run them 'directly'

(A better thing to do in the long run would be to extend the database
schema, review UI and dc-do-transcoding to include these filters in
batch transcoding as necessary.  Or switch to some other video batch
processing software that already supports this...)

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
Man invented language to satisfy his deep need to complain. - Lily Tomlin