Re: [Debconf-video] hardware & a meeting

On Wed, Jun 15, 2011 at 06:10:40PM +0200, Holger Levsen wrote:
> On Mittwoch, 15. Juni 2011, Wouter Verhelst wrote:
> > > ok, not 100% sure, but I assume we can get a proper camera tripods.
> > Yeah. Well, I'll bring it anyway; if it ends up not being used, it'll just
> > stay in the car. No harm done.
>
> ok, cool.
>
> > OBTW, I could also bring:
> > - 1, maybe 2, 8-port gigabit switches,
>
> those would be great.

Right. I've got one in use at home (I'll bring that, no need for network
when I'm not there), I'm not 100% sure what I did with the other. If I
find it, I'll bring it; otherwise you'll need to search for some other
solution (it's not that it's bad or anything; it's just that I once lost
the 3Com one, apparently with the recent move I now lost the other...
but I haven't looked for it very thoroughly yet))

The one at home is a 3Com 3CGSU08 (warning: evil blue LEDs), the other a
dlink thing.

> > - Five tally lights (the ones I brought to dc10)
>
> good. (i noted them on the hw page already :)

:)

> > - Four USB headsets (I much prefer the ability to directly talk to camera
> > people over having to do real actual handwaving, and yes I'll do the
> > fighting with asterisk to get that working :-)
>
> ok. i'm curious how this will work out and if it plays well with the tally
> light. i'm only a little worried if we end up having to use usb audio too...

That might indeed be an issue, depending on how the various applications
(the SIP client and dvsource-alsa) select their audio source. There are
two ways of selecting an ALSA audio source; by name or by number. The
latter is non-deterministic and would therefore be problematic, but the
former shouldn't be. There are several SIP clients (ekiga, for one, but
I believe that console thing that I can't remember the name of right now
can do so too) that select the audio device by name, so that side of the
equation should not be a problem; I don't know about dvsource-alsa
(never used it, tbh). Anyone?

Worst case, I suppose this should be possible to fix with a little
.asoundrc hackery, but I'd rather not go down that route if we can avoid
it.

the following formula:

pi zz a