Re: [Debconf-video] mkfs opts to archive dv files

On Sun, 2011-03-13 at 11:52 +0100, Holger Levsen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Samstag, 12. März 2011, Ben Hutchings wrote:
> > ext3 is inefficient for large files since it uses simple block bitmaps.
>
> how inefficient is it? how large?

The larger the file, the more benefit there is from mapping its blocks
with extents.  The cost in terms of disk space is minimal.  The cost in
terms of seek operations is probably more significant.

> What put me off from using xfs or reiserfs were quite frequent stories about
> data loss with those filesystems (which I see until today). I rather have my
> data served slower, but reliable.

Definitely don't use reiserfs (any version).

XFS should be fine, but doesn't flush data to disk as eagerly as ext3,
i.e. you need an explicit sync before you can be sure the data will
still be there after an unclean shutdown.  Same is true for ext4 (at
least with default settings).

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings