Re: [Debconf-video] mkfs opts to archive dv files

Hi,

On Sonntag, 13. März 2011, Ben Hutchings wrote:
> > how inefficient is it? how large?
> The larger the file, the more benefit there is from mapping its blocks
> with extents.  The cost in terms of disk space is minimal.  The cost in
> terms of seek operations is probably more significant.

So how much faster is xfs with files of 10-20gb? Something like 10% or 20% or
rather something like 200%?

> XFS should be fine, but doesn't flush data to disk as eagerly as ext3,
> i.e. you need an explicit sync before you can be sure the data will
> still be there after an unclean shutdown.  Same is true for ext4 (at
> least with default settings).

The problem with unclean shutdowns is, that you hardly ever can do a sync in
advance...

And really, even if xfs is 300% faster, I prefer 10% more reliability.
(Especially in debconf-video setups where we dont have a backup of our 2-5tb
raid several times a day...)