Re: [Debconf-video] mkfs opts to archive dv files

On Sun, Mar 13, 2011 at 11:52:48AM +0100, Holger Levsen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Samstag, 12. März 2011, Ben Hutchings wrote:
> > ext3 is inefficient for large files since it uses simple block bitmaps.
>
> how inefficient is it? how large?
>
> What put me off from using xfs or reiserfs were quite frequent stories about
> data loss with those filesystems (which I see until today). I rather have my
> data served slower, but reliable.

ReiserFS indeed has a bad reputation in that regard.

XFS' reputation is not entirely deserved, but not entirely undeserved
either. It assumes that there is a UPS, and that the filesystem will
always be unmounted cleanly. If that doesn't happen, then files of which
data and/or metadata was in flight when the system went down
unexpectedly will be zeroed, rather than corrupt. It would've been nice
if that had been a tunable parameter rather than an unmodifiable thing,
but other than that it's not an entirely unreasonable thing to do.

trying to fool the system.