Re: [Debconf-video] suggested codecs/formats for videos

On Wed, Aug 25, 2010 at 10:10:16AM +0100, Jon Dowland wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> Just submitting some feedback on suggested video formats for final
> distribution.
>
> Like it or loathe it, something that works on apple i* devices is a good idea.
> I that means a C,A,V triplet from {mov,mp4,avi},{mp3,aac},{h264,qt,xvid}.

Until very recently patent and associated royalty concerns had kept
encoders for those formats out of Debian.

Are i<Foo>s really not able to play theora videos at all?

What about WebM? Are Mr.Jobs and friends boycotting that as well?

I'm not sure how to think about this issue, but it probably ought to be
discussed.

-edrz