Re: [Debconf-video] suggested codecs/formats for videos

Hi Eric,

On Wed Aug 25, 2010 at 08:41:41 -0400, Eric Dantan Rzewnicki wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 25, 2010 at 10:10:16AM +0100, Jon Dowland wrote:
> > Hi folks,
> >
> > Just submitting some feedback on suggested video formats for final
> > distribution.
> >
> > Like it or loathe it, something that works on apple i* devices is a good idea.
> > I that means a C,A,V triplet from {mov,mp4,avi},{mp3,aac},{h264,qt,xvid}.
>
> Until very recently patent and associated royalty concerns had kept
> encoders for those formats out of Debian.
>
> Are i<Foo>s really not able to play theora videos at all?
>
> What about WebM? Are Mr.Jobs and friends boycotting that as well?

as I just read on Wikipedia[0,1] this morning, at least i<Foo>s OSes are
capable of playing back VP8 video content, when Internet Exploder 9 is
used and the necessary extra codec is installed.

[0] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vp8
[1] http://blogs.msdn.com/b/ie/archive/2010/05/19/another-follow-up-on-html5-video-in-ie9.aspx

As I understand there are two major reasons for which Apple does not
support and probably does not plan to support VP8 at the moment:

1. Apple is one of the major holders in the MPEG H264 patent pool
(that's why they get royalties from the use of H.264), they won't ever
be really interested in using a free, open alternatives.

> I'm not sure how to think about this issue, but it probably ought to be
> discussed.

Yes, this should definitely be discussed.

Bye,
  Michael