Re: HLUG Video stream collection

On Sat, 25 Jun 2005 19:35:56 +0200, John Lightsey <lightsey@debian.org> wrote:

On Sat, 2005-06-25 at 13:15 +0200, Herman Robak wrote:
On Tue, 14 Jun 2005 19:30:58 +0200, John Lightsey <lightsey@debian.org> wrote:

> http://www.nixnuts.net/video/

  On my laptop, Mplayer quits with "End of file" before showing anything.
I had to extract the URL to the AVI file from the asx file. (What is the
benefit of using asx?)

If you link to the AVI rather than the ASX, the entire file will be
downloaded before playback begins.  This is a problem in IE, Safari, and
Mozilla (without mplayerplug-in.)

 :-(  Working around brain damage is not fun.

"apt-get remove mozilla-mplayer" and try both the AVI and ASX urls in
Firefox/Mozilla and you'll see what I mean.

 I abhor viewing video in my browser, precisely because it "just doesn't
work".  It is buggy, and I don't have the user interface _I_ want for
viewing a video.

In VLC the videos are not seekable; I can not jump into the middle of
the video.

You can't seek in any video streaming from Apache AFAIK.

 Yes, you can.  The server does not have to be aware of anything,
except it has to support Ranges (used for resuming downloads).
Vlc and Mplayer both use partial downloads to jump into a media
file served over HTTP or FTP.  Works like a charm!

 Try it with these MPEG1 files served over HTTP with Apache:
<http://www.nuug.no/pub/herman/efn/>

You could
break the one AVI into a series of AVIs, add them all to a single ASX
file, and then you'd be able to jump forward to the next AVI in the set,
but you can't move forward and backward within a single AVI as you could
with RealPlayer or Windows Media Player.  I don't think any free
software video codec/server allows for that sort of control without
forcing the user to download the entire clip before playback begins.

 I suspect this is a problem with AVI, which as far as I know has an
index at the _end_ of the file.  Not particulary suited for streaming!

--
Herman Robak