Re: HLUG Video stream collection

On Sat, 2005-06-25 at 13:15 +0200, Herman Robak wrote:
> On Tue, 14 Jun 2005 19:30:58 +0200, John Lightsey <lightsey@debian.org> wrote:
>
> > Hi everyone,
> >
> > From the sound of recent discussions, we're leaning towards theora or
> > mpeg1 as the video codec.  If anyone is interested in taking a look at
> > XviD/DivX though, I have some of the HLUG DVDs encoded at the various
> > settings in /usr/share/kino/scripts/exports/ffmpeg_divx.sh on my
> > website.
> >
> > http://www.nixnuts.net/video/
>
>   On my laptop, Mplayer quits with "End of file" before showing anything.
> I had to extract the URL to the AVI file from the asx file. (What is the
> benefit of using asx?)

If you link to the AVI rather than the ASX, the entire file will be
downloaded before playback begins.  This is a problem in IE, Safari, and
Mozilla (without mplayerplug-in.)

Mplayerplug-in is very buggy though.  When the stream downloads too
slowly it has no way of recuperating.  It's handing off the stream to
mplayer via a pipe and when the pipe empties mplayer doesn't know what
to do.  It's better to open it in Totem, Kaffeine or VLC, all of which
will handle the streaming on their own.

"apt-get remove mozilla-mplayer" and try both the AVI and ASX urls in
Firefox/Mozilla and you'll see what I mean.

> In VLC the videos are not seekable; I can not jump into the middle of
> the video.

You can't seek in any video streaming from Apache AFAIK.  You could
break the one AVI into a series of AVIs, add them all to a single ASX
file, and then you'd be able to jump forward to the next AVI in the set,
but you can't move forward and backward within a single AVI as you could
with RealPlayer or Windows Media Player.  I don't think any free
software video codec/server allows for that sort of control without
forcing the user to download the entire clip before playback begins.

John