Re: questions and results from the video irc meeting

On Sat, 11 Jun 2005 12:29:46 +0200, Herman Robak <herman@skolelinux.no> wrote:

On Sat, 11 Jun 2005 11:06:40 +0200, Holger Levsen <debian@layer-acht.org> wrote:

The pegasos are PPC -- encoding with them will be painful. Even humble
x86s will be a better deal :p

so we (video...) won't have a use for them at all ?

  Not for encoding, but editing might work.

<weird idea>
  Using Pagasos machines for off-line¹ editing of stuff that mostly
requires straight cuts (no effects) and audio level fine-tuning.
If Cinelerra is used all the way, the Edit Decision List can be
passed on to a hunky rendering server.
</weird idea>

 (Cinelerra could have had a GUI for this.  The off-line feature
was proposed months ago.)

 Do the Pegasos machines have harddisks?  If so, how big are they?
I doubt NFS-mounted file systems will work well for video editing.
5 GB of scratch space should do nicely for off-line editing.

--
Herman Robak