Re: questions and results from the video irc meeting

Hi,

I'm cc:ing the video list and mooch as I don't want and can decide this on my
own...

On Saturday 11 June 2005 00:19, Andreas wrote:
> * Holger Levsen (debian@layer-acht.org) [050610 19:01]:
> > According to the wiki we'll have a dedicated video room located in the
> > basement of one of the dorm buildings. Is this sensible or would the
> > sm?kki be a better place ?
> i think the cellar is better since it can be locked, the servers
> are nearby (same room?) and smökki will be pretty crowded
> already.

ack

> > Where will the storage server be located ?
> same room?
> > Where will the gigabit switch be located ?
> same room?

Mooch, what are your plans with that switch ?

> the question marks because i *could* imagine that you would not
> want to work in the server room.

I feel a subtile irony here ;) We certainly don't want to work in loud room if
we can avoid it...

But then, I'm don't think networked x11 sessions (to the main server) will
work for editing the videos...

Currently we have:

Auditoriums: cams + laptops, connected with dedicated 100mbit to smökki/dorms
(to where exactly?)

Dorms: server-room in the cellar (smp-intel box, toresbes amd64 box),
gigabit-switch - could we have a second room in the dorms building, which is
next to the serverroom with the gigabit-switch ? should we use a 2nd room ?

Do we need more machines to edit the audio and video ? Martins comment about
the pegasos2 indicates those pegs2 are not suitable... do we have other
machines ? IMO we need _dedicated_ machines for it... (not the camera
notebooks, not personal notebooks...)

regards,