Re: Resignation from DebConf Committee

On 17/09/19 at 11:33 -0300, Paulo Henrique de Lima Santana wrote:
> Hi Lucas,
>
> On 17/09/2019 10:53, Lucas Nussbaum wrote:
> >
> > I've had less and less time for Debian recently, and did not attend DC18
> > and DC19, mainly due to priorities shifting towards being a father. It
> > doesn't make sense for me to use a seat in the DebConf Committee.
>
> That's nice. I have to confess that as a local member of the DC19
> organization I sometimes felt that all 5 members of the DebConf
> Committee should be more directly involved in the organization during
> the year, and not only to vote de next city.

Thank you for your kind words.

How much committee members (or formerly, "debconf chairs") should be
involved in DebConf organization has been the topic of a lot of debate.

Having witnessed both ways of doing things over the organization of DC13
to DC15 (DPL over some part of the organization at least) and then DC17
to DC19 (DCC), I am personally convinced that it is better to have the
DCC as an advisory board that is able to take a step back and step in
when serious issues emerge, but tries hard to avoid micro-managing the
organization and step on the toes of the (real) organizers. I think
that's the way it is designed in the delegation [1].

That does not prevent having DCC members that are involved in the
organization. But they must be able to "switch hats" and understand that
because they are DCC members, their voice might carry a different weight
even if they are just trying to talk as "mere" orga team members.

In fact, I would actually argue that it might be better to select DCC
members that are no longer involved in DC orga, because then we don't
have to worry about their ability to understand that distinction.

Note that I'm not trying to defend my involvement as DCC member here
(even though describing it as "only to vote de next city" does not match
my own perception). I've discussed resigning on a couple occasions with
other DCC members but was convinced at the time that I could still be
useful.  With Jonathan resigning, it's now a good opportunity to really
bring fresh blood in the DCC.

[1] https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2017/01/msg00003.html
updated by https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2018/10/msg00000.html

- Lucas