Re: [DebConf18] About Personal Data Sent to Government Agencies and University for Funding

Hi Holger,

On Sat, Aug 11, 2018 at 00:51 Holger Levsen <holger@layer-acht.org> wrote:
i'm a bit puzzled, you ask the data-protection list for advice and then go
against their advice. (they suggest to make this opt-in).

Jonathan (from Data Protection team) made a email template that we can go with opt-out.  Also opt-in could impact the funding if we have too little people on the list, even if we match the requirements.

then suddenly the government fundings went up from 50k USD to 80k USD,
home come? (your 1st mail in this thread here vs what you just wrote on
-announce.)

My first email on this thread is incorrect. The break down is below:

MEET TAIWAN: 504,040 TWD
NCHC: 550,000 TWD
NCTU: 1,500,000 TWD (this is unlisted in budget, but NCTU MIRC claimed such venue fee to NCTU CS dept, and CS dept is seeking from other fundings like MOST (Minister of Science and Technology) and MOE (Minister of Education) etc.)

also you didnt reply to my question how many names they need.

I thought I already replied to that, but my email got filtered by spam filter on the list.  That is put in the announcement. Copying from that:

We need at least 100 attendees, and in which we need at least 30 attendees not from Taiwan.  Note that even if we meet such requirement, it will also affects fundings if we have much less people than we should report.

also you didnt explain this (that not everybody needs to give their
names) and thus the people on -announce are not aware that them opting
out is a serious option which will not impact the funding.

last but not least, you make it sound dramatic, while according to what
i have heard, dc18 will make 60k USD profit, so we could very well cover
this from dc18 funds and not violate the rights of the people we love.

I am thinking about covering everything from SPI as well.  But not really sure what we will lose other than money.  We can gain reputations on our data policy if doing so.

not impressed. (perceived) urgency often gives bad advice. Debian needs
people more than money.

Sorry for my haste action.  We have to give funds the report 1 months within the end of event, and I am being pressured to hand over the list.

Best regards,
Yao Wei