Re: Saddened by the amount of events in video-equipped rooms which are not recorded

Wouter Verhelst <w@uter.be> writes:

> Hi Phil,
>
> On Thu, Aug 02, 2018 at 11:01:58AM +0200, Philip Hands wrote:
>> Wouter Verhelst <wouter@debian.org> writes:
>>
>> > Hi team!
>> >
>> > Since a few years, debconf has given speakers the ability to mark a talk
>> > as one that should not be recorded on video. Such talks sometimes get
>> > scheduled in rooms with video equipment.
>> >
>> > As a member of the FOSDEM organisation, which has an official policy of
>> > "if you want it to happen at FOSDEM, you MUST consent to it being
>> > recorded on video", I must say I am disheartened by this. Having a talk
>> > or BoF be on camera is often useful for various reasons:
>> >
>> > - It allows remote participation by those of us not lucky enough to make
>> >   it to the DebConf in question;
>> > - It creates a record of what has been said in the talk, which can be
>> >   useful to refer to after the fact;
>> > - It allows people for who English is not a first language to replay the
>> >   video a few times until they understand what is happening, and/or for
>> >   things to be subtitled so that they can follow what's happening in
>> >   their native language (this latter doesn't happen as often as we'd
>> >   like currently, but we do have a setup for subtitling).
>> > - If you want to be at two talks or BoFs which happen at the same time,
>> >   you can go to the one talk in the knowledge that you'll always be able
>> >   to watch the video of the other one.
>> >
>> > While I can understand that sometimes there may be reasons for things
>> > not to be recorded, I think that in service of the greater Debian
>> > community, DebConf should try to make as many events as possible be
>> > public; that is, we should make things recorded by default, not by the
>> > whim of the speaker/facilitator of the talk or BoF.
>> >
>> > It's obviously way too late for this to happen right now anymore, but
>> > I[1] would like to suggest that for next year, submission procedures are
>> > changed so that:
>> >
>> > - The form where talk submissions can be made is, if necessary, changed
>> >   so that things will be recorded by default, unless the speaker
>> >   explicitly requests otherwise;
>> > - It is made clear that "I don't think this would be useful" is not
>> >   in and of itself a good enough reason (other people might reasonably
>> >   disagree with that position);
>> > - If a speaker requests that a talk not be recorded, we ask them to
>> >   explain why they request that, so that if the request is based on a
>> >   misunderstanding of what that would entail practically this can be
>> >   cleared up;
>> > - Talks which are marked as not recorded will by default be scheduled in
>> >   rooms which have no video content, so that if the not to be recorded
>> >   talk is marked so for privacy reasons, we don't have to worry about
>> >   video equipment being left on by mistake, and so that talks which
>> >   might otherwise have been usefully recorded can still be scheduled in
>> >   a room with the necessary equipment.
>> >
>> > Thoughts?

> [...]

Not at all -- it wasn't trying to -- I agree that it's a shame.

In the one session I was in where I know it had been explicitly
requested, it was raised as a disapointment that it was not being
videoed, and the speaker admitted that they had misjudged the likely
character of the discussion, and that in future years would not make
such a request (basically because they now realise that Debian is not
like other fora where a similar session would not work if videoed)

Cheers, Phil.