Re: Registration deadline extension - someone objects?

We will looks very bad as we occupied 600 beds for free but only use half of them.
I have been told. There are also other event running in NCTU and requests beds but couldn't get.

I'd suggest we have an extension for bursaries on accommodations at least. not for traveling.

-Andrew

* Hector Oron <zumbi@debian.org> [2018-04-15 22:55:58 +0200]:

>   Since registration deadline expired and we still have some room
> available, few organizers, for different reasons think we need to
> gather more people, would anyone object to extend registration
> deadline by a week or two weeks? Does someone object to extend
> registration to DebConf18 until end of month (April 30th)?

[re-interpreting registration as bursaries]

I think the current deadline for bursaries was appropriate. I pushed for an
early deadline to get the decisions out in early May and leave people ample
time to get visas, buy tickets etc. The team seemed to be in agreement, as late
decisions have been an issue in the past.

Looking at current numbers, 197 people have been able to send in a request,
which is more than we've had since DebConf15 (which was an outlier anyway).

I would, of course, defer to a team decision on this matter, but I would
strongly advise against a generic extension: more applicants means more
applications to read through means more delay for ranking means later decisions
means higher flight prices means tighter budget means in the end, fewer people
are able to come.

Cheers,
--
Nicolas Dandrimont

BOFH excuse #251:
Processes running slowly due to weak power supply

--
-Andrew