Re: Talk/event proposals "Closed source"

Reply in-line :-

On 21/03/2018, 積丹尼 Dan Jacobson <jidanni@jidanni.org> wrote:
> OK keep them closed. But at least at the bottom of
> https://debconf18.debconf.org/talks/new/
> mention (before he hits the submit button) that
>
> "Your proposal will be held for review and only will be made public if
> approved."

Actually, from what little I have observed, all talks held for review
except for invited talks.

For instance, this year we have Minister Teng (hope spelled it right)
who would be sharing her understanding and hopefully kickstarting more
of FOSS initiatives in Taiwan and surrounding areas.

Which also sort of reminds me and I haven't seen it in any
communication on debconf-team yet, has there been any attempts to get
the press involved.  With the Minister present, it might be possible
have sound-bytes or even a TV-byte which might make more people sit up
and take notice about free software in general and Debian in
particular.  It may be possible to also have a minute or two of Chris
sharing about Debian with his DPL hat on and interaction with the lay
public.

For that to work, we would need to have a press team who have good
contacts with the local press.

> Else it might take weeks for him to find that his e.g.,
> https://debconf18.debconf.org/talks/25/
> was giving 403 Forbidden to some users.
>
> Indeed the "Any notes for the conference organisers? These are not
> visible to the public." on the last textbox might lead users to think
> that proposals are public from the start.

Actually what could be done is to say something at the start of the
proposal itself

For instance, something on the lines of  ' All proposals will be kept
private until they
are approved. The last of date of submission is 27-06-2018 without
exceptions. The approval process will start after that and would end
on 27-07-2018 or some deadline like that.  Whatever deadlines are
given have to be approved by the content-team as they would be the
ones contributing both their time and expertise in evaluating the
proposals.

I am a terrible writer, maybe somebody whose first language is English
might be more concise and perfect.

https://debconf18.debconf.org/talks/new/

> So fine, keep the closed policy. But at least on the form state the
> policy.
>
> Indeed, with confidence that their rejected proposals won't be made
> public, maybe you will get more proposals.
>
> Currently submitters don't know if their proposal will be made public
> once they click submit, or not. So at least tell them, before they hit
> submit.

The above seems doable, just need to find an English language warrior ;)

--
          Regards,
          Shirish Agarwal  शिरीष अग्रवाल