Re: Talk/event proposals "Closed source"

On Tue, Mar 20, 2018 at 04:22:46PM +0800, 積丹尼 Dan Jacobson wrote:
> It seems talk/event proposals go into a black box until approved by a "secret"
> committee, or discarded.

the members of the content team are public, there is not secret
committee.

> In fact
> https://debconf18.debconf.org/cfp/
> doesn't mention that proposals are secret, which is quite different than
> one would expect with Debian, and

in 19 years of DebConfs AFAIK you are the first to bring this up, so I
dont think this unexpected or a surprise.

also this is how all conferences i know operate. there are other models,
like barcamps, however, which operate differently.

> https://debconf18.debconf.org/talks/new/
> only says on the very bottom input box
> "Any notes for the conference organisers? These are not visible to the
> public."
> implying the rest will be public. (Ah, but only after the event gets
> approved.)

once selected talk information (except those notes) become public.

> My worry is, with this "closed source" model, maybe many valuable
> talk/event ideas will be missed/skipped/lost/not understood therefore
> discarded.

there's always lightning talks.

> Nor is there any "public oversight" process where we can see if it was
> 90 out of 100 ideas were rejected, of just 2 out of 12, etc.

you are free to join the content team.

--
cheers,
	Holger