Re: DebConf19 Bid decision meeting

On 04/01/2018 18:51, Holger Levsen wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 04, 2018 at 06:28:58PM +0200, Jonathan Carter (highvoltage) wrote:
>> For Bratislava, this gives them
>> a chance to have their bid scrutinized, even though they really intend
>> to bid for next year.
>
> frankly, I'm not sure this is sensible. It might work this year, when we
> have time as there is only one bid, but normally we wont have time for
> this…

There is some flexibility in the process year-on-year. This is how we're
doing it this year. I'm hoping that next year we'll have at least two
strong bids, we might have to do some better marketing at DebConf to
lure^Wentice more people into proposing bids.

> also I think bid teams should be clear what they want and offer. saying
> "we might be bidding but maybe not" or some such is not helpful.
>
> also why should we invest our time in this bid if *they* are not clear
> if they want to be bidding?

As far as I'm concerned, we have a sufficient understanding of where the
bid teams stand in order to have a productive meeting and a high
likelihood of reaching a consensus/conclusion on who should host DebConf19.

Even though Bratislava is really gunning for DC20, and even though it's
more or less a dry run for their actual bid, it is also valuable to
assess their current readiness in the (unlikely) event that the Curitiba
bid doesn't work out.

-Jonathan

--
  ⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀  Jonathan Carter (highvoltage) <jcc>
  ⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁  Debian Developer - https://wiki.debian.org/highvoltage