Re: [Debconf-team] Canadian border problems

On 02/05/17 18:02, Carl Karsten wrote:
> I have plenty of fist hand experience with Canadian boarder guards.

> conference.  the end.
>
> You are not "working" with or for it or anything that might sound like
> work.  "volunteering" is work.   If you hint that you might help out the
> reg desk, it is their job to get things evaluated by the labor dept that
> understands the labor market etc and that takes a minimum of 3 days.
> As long as you don't leave the country with a bag of money they don't
> care what you did at the conference.
>
> My wife spoke at PyCon in Montreal.  That fact got her a round of
> questions, mostly "are you being paid to speak?"   - I would avoid
> saying anything other than "attending."

This is a lot more hassle than what people experience traveling in
Europe these days.  Is it relatively worse now post-Trump or in relation
to any other factors?

Is there any helpful way this could be put on the web site?

> DebConf is not the droids they are looking for.
>
> If pressed for details, I would not lie.

So if they ask "what do you think of border guards who take up your time
and don't pay for it", assert your right to silence?