Re: [Debconf-team] Canadian border problems

I have plenty of fist hand experience with Canadian boarder guards.

You are not "working" with or for it or anything that might sound like work.  "volunteering" is work.   If you hint that you might help out the reg desk, it is their job to get things evaluated by the labor dept that understands the labor market etc and that takes a minimum of 3 days.    As long as you don't leave the country with a bag of money they don't care what you did at the conference.

My wife spoke at PyCon in Montreal.  That fact got her a round of questions, mostly "are you being paid to speak?"   - I would avoid saying anything other than "attending."

DebConf is not the droids they are looking for.

If pressed for details, I would not lie.

On Tue, May 2, 2017 at 7:48 AM, Daniel Pocock <daniel@pocock.pro> wrote:

On 02/05/17 12:45, Jonathan Carter (highvoltage) wrote:
> On 02/05/2017 09:58, Daniel Pocock wrote:
>> I couldn't believe it when I saw this[1] but it is appearing in the
>> news, an Australian, no evidence of a criminal record or anything,
>> unable to enter Canada due to an outbreak of bureaucracy.
>
> Well, he overstayed his US visa, even if it was just by an hour. Moral
> of the story: don't mess with the conditions on your visa. It's not that
> I lack sympathy for his case, I think it's horrible how they treated
> him, but it's really better to play it safe than risk overstaying your
> welcome.

My understanding of the situation was that he had approached the
Canadian border post 3 hours before the US visa expired, so if the
Canadians did not discriminate against him or work excessively slowly
then he would not have had any problems with US authorities.

Regards,

Daniel