Re: [Debconf-team] Questions for the DebConf18 teams

Paulo Henrique de Lima Santana dijo [Thu, Dec 22, 2016 at 09:53:04PM -0200]:
> > Clearly you didn't see this famous Terri Gilliam movie called,
> > precisely, "Brazil", right? You have to hand in form 104-B3 to get the
> > visa requirements information.
>
> Should we worry about this film? :-)

I really hope not to have ignited the wrong sentiment with this :-) As
a Latin American, I have led all my life in a country with many of the
same (sane and insane, clear and obfuscated, clever and stupid)
cultural traits of Brazil. I have not properly been to Brazil since
2004, but have repeatedly crossed its airports when travelling to
Argentina since my now-wife moved to Mexico. I don't have a single
complaint about entering and leaving Brazil, and would be happy to go
there again!

> I would like to comment this queston:
> "Which location do you consider more important for the future of Debian and why?"
>
> To me is impossible go to DebConf in Europe/USA because 1 Dollar is
> more than 3 Reais. So, the costs to go to Europe/USA are very high.
> I know this is the same to others residents in Brazil and Latin
> America in general.

That's true - But don't just count it in currency equivalence, as it's
completely misleading (otherwise we would be hosting DebConf in Japan
because of the cheap Yen ;-) ). Latin America has quite low wages; I
can say that I live fairly well off in Mexico, as an middle-upper
class family, but I still make close to the minimum wage in the
USA. So, yes, the costs of life for us Latin Americans are huge when
travelling to so-called-developed countries.