Re: [Debconf-team] Questions for the DebConf18 teams

Dear Paul (pabs),

> Which location do you consider more important for the future of Debian
and why?

We think Hsinchu is good because:

1. It will definitely a great incentive for Asia people to participate
   Debian because Hsinchu will be the first DebConf location in Asia.
   Since Debian is an universal OS, we think that other locations
   on the Earth are also the future of Debian.

2. Also, we do DebConf in the campus, where many students can directly
   participate with us. And it is easier for them to become DM/DD
   through working with developers face-to-face.

3. There are also some research programs related to open source
   in NCTU. And in NTU too (one of the backup venue). Since they are
   the upstream of their projects and if we can show them the way how
   to distribute their projects with Debian. Co-work with Debian.
   That would be very good.

> Have you investigated any options for the day trip?

Yes.

So basically, Hsinchu is also an old city in Taiwan. There are already
many good / ancient places near-by. Also the famous traditional food
originated from Hsinchu is already listed in the wiki page. They are
near a temple near Hsinchu train station. We'll ask someone to add more
information to the wiki page.

For free hikings, there's just a mountain near-by. There's another
university called NTHU right beside NCTU. They are actually connected.
So we just go to NTHU through the boundary, and there's a path to the
mountain inside NTHU. The mountain isn't dangerous at all but not easy
for me.

Also we can have some plan to visit Taipei city for the day trip. For
example, to the National musuem to see Chinese treasures by charter bus.
Or to 101 top to see the Taipei City.

> Have any of the local sponsorship companies been contacted?

We have contacted NCHC. Should be able to get NTD$ 100000. They are also
in Hsinchu. And they did sponsor us for MiniDebConfTW many times. Also
they are able to give some talks about their projects. Many of them are
based on Debian.

We also have contacted Appier.

There will be more since many high-tech companies in Hsinchu.

> Will you be able to accommodate vegan and vegetarian meals?
> Are the restaurants near the venue able to do that?

There is one restaurant that provides true vegan meals in the campus.
What we plan to do is issuing special tickets for that restaurants so
vegan people can go to that restaurants for meal.

The restaurants are together in the same building so they won't be too
seprarated.

> The boca.gov.tw links are insecure according to Firefox, probably not
> much you can do about that though :)

Actually we might be able to fix this. Audrey Tang [au] is our Digital
Minister now, and she is also founder of g0v. We can report this issue
to her so that it can be fixed.

[au] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audrey_Tang

Also we found the root cause.
Please refer
https://groups.google.com/forum/m/#!topic/mozilla.dev.security.policy/eFG27ZTYWD8

We'll see if we can push someone to fix that.

Yours Sincerely,
Paul