Re: [Debconf-team] Pontificate on Debian Day/Open Weekend - 2 days.

Hi shirish

Again, thanks for the great questions.

I have made a 'messy' Open Weekend/Debian Day (we're not 100%
convinced on a day or a weekend yet) wiki, please feel free to
contribute to it:
https://wiki.debconf.org/wiki/DebConf16/DebianDayMessy

I worked in some of your questions there, but also address them in line:

On Wed, May 4, 2016 at 10:46 PM, shirish शिरीष <shirishag75@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Have there been any proposals for talking/pontificating on Debian
> Day/Open Weekend ?
>
> https://wiki.debconf.org/wiki/DebConf16
>
> There hasn't been much talk about that.
>
> Is there a form or something that people fill before-hand or it's
> supposed to be all walk-ins ?

Good point, we should make one. Walk-ins would be welcome on the
day/weekend, but if people have ideas etc, knowing about them
beforehand is great.

> If there are is a form and people are filling it, it might give us as
> estimate of number of attendees as well as what they are coming to
> find out about on those two particular days.

+1

> For instance, if there are newcomers/newbies/noobs who are on the wall
> either about free software in general or Debian in particular, then am
> open to sharing the choices that led me to Debian.  As most people on
> the group, did my fair share of distro-hopping over years before
> settling on Debian.
>
> To do such a thing, am I expected to submit a talk/proposal or just
> this mail will do ?

That's great. Speakers still need to submit a talk proposal on the
main website please. I have not become acquainted with the system yet,
but Allison(wendar) is involved there.

> Also is it expected in one place or all over the place, probably apart
> from the 3 rooms where video professionals will be testing their
> equipment and sorting any last-minute kinks out to be ready for
> debconf.

It is in one big place (Menzies Glasshouse), although today we thought
it may be good for the catering place, so it may go to a different
place, but it would be in ONE, place. It would not be in a room, and
not in the video rooms, except the talks,  to allow people to walk
around, and set up exhibits or booths, or hack spaces without having
constraints like chairs.

> IMO, all of the above info. should be in a separate page "Debian for
> Noobs" and link it to the main page of Debconf 16 wiki.  I am open to
> creating and maintaining that wiki page if people think it is needed
> and would be useful.

The current page for the 'proper' info is
https://wiki.debconf.org/wiki/DebConf16/DebianDay but I would like
there to be some info on the main debconf16.debconf website as well,
at some stage. I would try for this wiki page to have that content, so
it can be migrated easily.

> @Bernelle/indiebio what do you think ? As you are running with the
> Debian Day/Open Weekend bit, you would probably be the be the best
> person to answer it.

I'd like it to be a team effort, but this is my main reason to be
involved in DebConf, yes :)