Re: [Debconf-team] Debconf 16 travel budget

martin f krafft <madduck@debconf.org> writes:

> also sprach David Bremner <david@tethera.net> [2016-04-06 01:52 +0200]:
>> - These numbers don't include accomodation and food bursaries. The
>> budgeting for that was very complicated/confusing last year. We
>> would be happy to have a more concrete number to work with.
>
> If you would take a peek at the screenshot of the DC15 budget
> document, could you fathom what a "more concrete number to work
> with" would look like?
>
> http://scratch.madduck.net/dc15_budget.png

Ah, no this wasn't a complaint about scenarios, sorry for expressing
myself unclearly.

If I understand correctly, there is no seperate budget line in that
overview for sponsored accomodation. Somewhere else there are
assumptions about the fraction of people sponsored, so it could be
calculated, but was a bit indirect. That's all I meant.

I think ideal guidance [1] for bursaries would be

- you have $Z total for travel + accomodation + food bursaries
  - each sponsored accommodation costs $X
  - each sponsored food costs $Y
- please offer food and accomodation sponsorship to all "active
  contributors", and spend the rest on travel. [2]

I understand the incremental cost of accomodation and food is not always
constant, so that might not really be possible, but some approximation
would be good.

I guess it just bugs me that the single largest expense for debconf [3]
(sponsored accomodation and food) has not been as transparent as it
could be. So it might be good from a governance/transparency point of
view to specify the breakdown of $Z into travel and acommodation+food,
but so far (and this is not specific to DC15) what we've been doing is
specifying a travel amount, and then falling back on some more informal
mechanism to sanity check the amount of sponsored accomodation.

[1]: if that's not what a budget is, that's fine too.
[2]: or whatever other suggestions / restrictions, like a breakdown
     between travel and accomodation.
[3]: at least that was true at DC15 according