Re: [Debconf-team] About microblogging

also sprach Gunnar Wolf <gwolf@gwolf.org> [2015-11-18 16:07 +1300]:
> Why I don't like them? Because it leads to further
> merchandification to what should be official news channels, with
> interesting (read, mostly technical) insight. Turning a Debian
> account into a (yes, very low volume, but still) ad source does
> not feel in any way positive to me.

I understand that sentiment and you have a good point. At the same
time, however, I don't think we should just file "merchandification"
as flat-out negative. Our sponsors are giving us money and we can
now either say that this is payment for the great OS we made for
them, or an investment into our future. We thank them for their
support, and I think that's quite a different message than
a "commercial ad" would send.

But hey, if there's resistance, no gain in pushing for it. It was an
experiment and we should rather use our time finding and trying the
next experiment.

: :'  :  DebConf orga team
`. `'`
  `-  DebConf16: Cape Town: https://wiki.debconf.org/wiki/DebConf16