Re: [Debconf-team] Protecting Debian from DebConf issues? (was: Collaboratively drafting the next DebConf) delegation

On Sun, Nov 08, 2015 at 09:09:57AM +1300, martin f krafft wrote:
> also sprach Steve Langasek <vorlon@debian.org> [2015-11-08 05:09 +1300]:

> > Without either a direct sign-off by the DPL or a delegation from
> > the DPL, no one involved in DebConf organization has any authority
> > to use Debian's name to solicit sponsorship.

> We already have a team/delegation in charge of use of the Debian
> brand, especially in situations where money is involved. It could
> already be considered part of the trademark team delegation to
> oversee DebConf fundraising and ensure that we don't make promises
> we can't keep, and that budgeting/treasury stays true to DebConf
> values.¹

DebConf organization has *never* fallen under the role of the Trademark
team. Before assuming they have some insane desire to be responsible for
<InsertCrazyConferenceIdeaHere> where part of the team has no desire to
actually communicate or find agreement globally, it would be wise to check
with them that they would be happy monitoring all use of Debian logo and
name for fund-raising promises. And if they agree, it would be even *wiser*
to have the *DPL* update their delegation responsibilities, not some random
comment on a mailing list.

> A parallel delegation will only bring additional work,
> confusion and friction.

Aside from the fact that the delegation is in parallel only in that it is
meant to support the best for Debian, the delegation brought very little
additional work, no confusion, and a very limited amount of friction during
DC14, all of which was handled amicably.

Patty Langasek
harmoney@dodds.net | harmoney@debian.org

At times, you may end up far away from home;
you may not be sure of where you belong anymore.
But home is always there...  because home is not a place.
It's wherever your passion takes you.
                                --- J. Michael Straczynski