Re: [Debconf-team] Protecting Debian from DebConf issues? (was: Collaboratively drafting the next DebConf) delegation

On Fri, Oct 23, 2015 at 12:08:02PM +0200, Didier 'OdyX' Raboud wrote:
> Le vendredi, 23 octobre 2015, 10.26:09 Philip Hands a écrit :
> > It's not as though the delegates put up some surety for the
> > conference, or accept any personal liability (and they certainly
> > should not be expected to).

> That's one issue I see with the 2011 delegation [0], that said:
> > The main responsibility of the DebConf chairs is to act as a liaison
> > between the Debian Project and the DebConf organization. In that
> > capacity, the chairs will be responsible to the Project for the
> > organization of DebConf and how Debian resources (e.g. money, but also
> > the "Debian" name) are used to that end.

> "They will be responsible to the Project for (…) how Debian resources
> are used (…)".

> For me, making them responsible implies that they are either actually
> taking these decisions, or exercise some sort of leadership onto the
> team actually taking these.

> If we expect the DC$n teams to decide on the use of 'Debian resources'
> on their own, then these teams should be made responsible, not the
> chairs.

I don't expect that at all.  A team that is only handling the organization
of a single year's conference shouldn't have anything resembling the
authority to decide on their own how Debian resources are used.

The "local team" will have lots of good ideas and enthusiasm for how to put
them into effect.  But they *must not* do this without the oversight of the
DPL or delegates - they can propose these ideas, but must not assume that
being the local team gives them the authority to use Debian resources
without discussion.

For the past few years, we've fared well with strong, well-organized local
teams that pose little risk to the Debian Project.  This has not always been
the case.  The organizational structure of the DebConf team needs to handle
the cases when we *don't* have a strong local team, not just the cases when
we do.