Re: [Debconf-team] Budget PDF snapshots (was: DC15 conf dinner budget extension)

> On 07 May 2015, at 21:46, martin f krafft <madduck@debconf.org> wrote:
>
> also sprach Giacomo Catenazzi <cate@debian.org> [2015-05-07 20:41 +0200]:
>> Can I ask you, Martin, to make an extract (maybe as pdf as you did
>> for first draft), so that in future we will know what setting are
>> needed for approved budget (in case of incompabilities in later
>> libreoffice).
>
> I don't think that incompatibilities in Libreoffice are something to
> be concerned with. I work a lot with Libreoffice in non-profits, in
> one case we're still doing all our financial planning based on
> a sheet I created back when it was StarOffice, and there are never
> any problems that aren't just related to formatting or can't be
> easily fixed (e.g. when a function is renamed). I can't even
> remember when the last problem occured, to be honest.

Your file is complex, and you use a lot of features.  We need the approved budget for many years in future (to compare and help doing next budgets).

On travel I tried to open your file with other program (IIRC google calculator/spreadsheet, or maybe Apple’s number), and it gave me wrong numbers [I think not all formulas were calculated].

So I have some doubts that in 5 year we can open that file in a simple way (and not only the most geek of bid teams)

> However, I am open to the idea of creating a PDF and it probably
> makes it easier to refer to an approved budget as a PDF-snapshot of
> a spreadsheet that can keep changing.

Only approved budget. Is also the budget that it will be used to create future budgets.

> There's already an overview page designed to produce a quick-n-easy
> PDF for the salient information. I don't think it makes sense to
> just distill everything from the current file into a PDF. What would
> help is knowing what information you'd want in such a snapshot.
>
>  - the overview?
>  - the detailed expense listing?
>  - what else?

Like the pdf draft you sent. so overview and basic assumptions, IIRC.

ciao
	cate