Re: [Debconf-team] Budget, and some swag ideas

Just quick replies before I'm off to bed

On Mon, Nov 9, 2015 at 12:13 AM, martin f krafft <madduck@debconf.org> wrote:
> also sprach Bernelle Verster <bernellev@gmail.com> [2015-11-09 10:42 +1300]:
>> They also have blankets, how about that instead of a bag?
>
> The bag is useful to hold swag from sponsors and for stuff to be
> carried around. I don't think it'll fly well to do without.

Noted, but if advance notice is given for people to bring their own??
I feel that this would be best settled by asking debconfers. How do we
do polls in Debian?

> And while I cannot picture dozens of Debianites wrapped up in
> blankets, I suppose it does depend a bit on what temperature to
> expect. Are you secretly preparing us for the power outages? ;)

It's winter, and DebConf is not often held in winter, so I'm thinking
how to leverage that as an opportunity. Just ideas ... not sold on
anything...

> Do keep in mind that blankets are quite voluminous and that might
> well mean people have to leave them behind.
>
> FYI, during DC15 I wish we had made Debian pens.

Noted.

> Mid-market rates are currently 14 ZAR/USD and 15 ZAR/EUR:
>
>   http://deb.li/dc16zar
>
> Maybe we could get in the habit of including the exchange rates in
> such e-mails? I've added it to the /topic on our channel.

Noted and agreed.

>> Nigel, this may help you a bit:
>>
>> - Attendee swag
>> T-shirts: ??
>> swag bags: R100 - R200
>
> That sound expensive. FTR, the DC15 bags were ca. 4 € or 60 ZAR.
> Arguably, we were on the cheap side, but even the DC13 laptop bags
> weren't much more expensive than that.

There are many options for the R60 - R80 or so price range. Depends
what we go for. I'm aiming the budget for the conservative range
(sneakily, perhaps :)  ). Whatever we go for, I'd rather have less
swag items of better quality, than junk. I did like the DC15 bags,
they were fit-for purpose. But if it's a laptop bag, it must be good.

>> lanyard: R20
>
> Perfect. Otoh, don't we have enough lanyards from DC15 left over?

Possibly. I thought they were scratchy though, but I guess we can re-use them.

>> - Open weekend
>> R20 000
>
> For what?

No idea. I haven't thought this through yet. Could probably make do
with whatever I have. Maybe R5 000 for flyers, some T-shirts,
stickers, and things to give away?

>> - Sponsor fulfillment
>> ? - T-shirts and swag bags for them, postage
>
> Good to plan for it, although it's to be decided whether we'll keep
> doing this.
>
>> - Conference dinner
>> Work on R300pp (found on Moyo website (no longer at Spier??) + R60 booze pp?
>
> Sounds good. Is there transportation involved?

Yes. So we'll have to factor that in.

>> - Entertainment
>> This should be free, get up-and-coming bands and people to chip in to
>> support them.
>> We may need to think of venue options though... So ... R10 000?
>> (conservative estimate)
>
> What are venue options in this context?

Uhm... will think about it. Baxter theatre could work, or the foyer of
the engineering building, but won't be soundproof. There's also the
tennis courts a bit up (about 200m walk)... The tennis courts may be
perfect, actually. And will be cheap/free.

>> - Child care
>> Our numbers per class are fixed, starting Jan to Dec.  Mid-year vac is
>> probably a good time.  We can only consider ad hoc admissions when
>> children are on sabbatical or vacation with their parents.  Based on
>> experience there may be 2 to 3 openings per class.  The cost per day
>> is R85.00.  We do not offer meals therefore parents are required to
>> send along packed lunches and healthy snacks.
>
> I don't think you'll be able to get parents to sign up for this in
> advance and carry the costs. Long-term, this might be a great
> solution for some (!) parents, but I don't think we're quite there
> yet, nor does feedback from last year suggest that parents are
> generally open to idea to give their kids away like this.
>
> Rather I think we'll fare much better with on-site babysitters like
> at DC15. Is this a possibility?

It could, but this day-care centre is about 100m from the venue. (Not
having kids) I still think this is a reasonable amount of space :).
The bottom line for this conversation though is that I think is this
is likely not needed in the budget?
The venue this year will have three levels so should be easy to keep
some as quiet levels and some as kid-friendly... we need to think
about it more though.