Re: [Debconf-team] Budget, and some swag ideas

also sprach Bernelle Verster <bernellev@gmail.com> [2015-11-09 10:42 +1300]:
> They also have blankets, how about that instead of a bag?

The bag is useful to hold swag from sponsors and for stuff to be
carried around. I don't think it'll fly well to do without.

And while I cannot picture dozens of Debianites wrapped up in
blankets, I suppose it does depend a bit on what temperature to
expect. Are you secretly preparing us for the power outages? ;)

Do keep in mind that blankets are quite voluminous and that might
well mean people have to leave them behind.

FYI, during DC15 I wish we had made Debian pens.

Mid-market rates are currently 14 ZAR/USD and 15 ZAR/EUR:

  http://deb.li/dc16zar

Maybe we could get in the habit of including the exchange rates in
such e-mails? I've added it to the /topic on our channel.

> Nigel, this may help you a bit:
>
> - Attendee swag
> T-shirts: ??
> swag bags: R100 - R200

That sound expensive. FTR, the DC15 bags were ca. 4 € or 60 ZAR.
Arguably, we were on the cheap side, but even the DC13 laptop bags
weren't much more expensive than that.

> lanyard: R20

Perfect. Otoh, don't we have enough lanyards from DC15 left over?

> - Open weekend
> R20 000

For what?

> - Sponsor fulfillment
> ? - T-shirts and swag bags for them, postage

Good to plan for it, although it's to be decided whether we'll keep
doing this.

> - Conference dinner
> Work on R300pp (found on Moyo website (no longer at Spier??) + R60 booze pp?

Sounds good. Is there transportation involved?

> - Entertainment
> This should be free, get up-and-coming bands and people to chip in to
> support them.
> We may need to think of venue options though... So ... R10 000?
> (conservative estimate)

What are venue options in this context?

> - Child care
> Our numbers per class are fixed, starting Jan to Dec.  Mid-year vac is
> probably a good time.  We can only consider ad hoc admissions when
> children are on sabbatical or vacation with their parents.  Based on
> experience there may be 2 to 3 openings per class.  The cost per day
> is R85.00.  We do not offer meals therefore parents are required to
> send along packed lunches and healthy snacks.

I don't think you'll be able to get parents to sign up for this in
advance and carry the costs. Long-term, this might be a great
solution for some (!) parents, but I don't think we're quite there
yet, nor does feedback from last year suggest that parents are
generally open to idea to give their kids away like this.

Rather I think we'll fare much better with on-site babysitters like
at DC15. Is this a possibility?

: :'  :  DebConf orga team
`. `'`
  `-  DebConf16: Cape Town: https://wiki.debconf.org/wiki/DebConf16