Re: [Debconf-team] 'meeting' tonight: General discussion

Hi

Just a note on the dates below... (included in line)
(the rest I don't have strong enough opinions on to contribute, can
chat in the meeting)

On Wed, Nov 4, 2015 at 5:32 PM, Brian Gupta <brian.gupta@brandorr.com> wrote:
> [...]
>
> We really need to strive for both a stong local and strong global
> teams, so we can have a
>
>> * The website is coming along well - is the current one on wafer already? [3]
>> There is talk of a sprint in January, which may involve flying people
>> to Cape Town. Stefano knows more here, we should discuss the options.
>
> Is this for just DC16, or would this work be applied to future
> DebConfs? Also how much budget are we discussing? My quick thoughts
> are that a sprint could be justified, if it's not one-off work, in
> that it won't be leveraged for future DebConfs, and/or the budget
> being requested isn't very large. IE: If we are thinking wafer has a
> good shot at being the new summit/web/everything for DC16+, and it's
> not a large monetary amount, then this makes sense.
>
>> * I'm still waiting on a flyer draft.
>>
>> * For fundraising, we should also discuss and agree on whether we want
>> to send the swag to sponsors again. DC15 had a hiccup here, but DC13
>> and DC14 did send swag to sponsors. And whatever we decide we can then
>> tell sponsors consistently and early if they ask. Daniel's opinion is
>> that there are very valid reasons to at least send bags and shirts,
>> but feel more ambivalent about sending swag from other vendors.
>> And to note: Michael (azeem) suggested we should have a more organized
>> push to debrief DC15 sponsors, and asking them about whether they
>> appreciated and/or in future want the sponsor bag would be one. DC16
>> can also add their thoughts here.
>
> 1) Some reading [2] on fundraising suggests that surprise gifts to
> donors can be effective, but if it seems like the donor is "buying"
> the gift, it can be instead be counterproductive. It clearly strongly
> discourages promising the gift as a reward for donation. (Bear in mind
> donors motivations are somewhat different than sponsors.)
> 2) For sponsors at silver+ I feel it is useful to show how their logos
> were featured
> 3) For sponsors below silver, I think it might be useful to show how
> their logos could have been featured if they were silver+?
> 4) Nice to give shirts to our sponsors who couldn't attend (I know
> when my company was sponsoring and I couldn't attend, the shirts were
> appreciated.) Probably this only applies to sponsors that are true
> fans of Debian.
> 5) Swag from other sponsors, I don't have a strong opinion. I
> certainly don't think it would be ideal to send only swag from other
> sponsors and no shirts. Putting my sponsor hat on, I think it's useful
> to know what other sponsors are giving, so I can get a sense of what's
> allowed/expected, but I wouldn't miss it if it weren't sent. Overall
> it will likely influence sponsors to be more likely to provide swag,
> which has it's own pros and cons.
>
>> * I've forwarded an email from the accommodation people. I think we
>> should announce the dates.
>
> If there is realistically no chance of dates changing, that sounds great.

The (low) probability is that we don't have accommodation sorted. Then
we need to decide if we move the venue, which could mean changing the
dates. But anything else, like finding alternative accommodation,
would probably still stick to those dates.

The venue is booked, and has infrastructure largely sorted already,
and the dates can't be changed (much) because of the university
vacation which allows our access to the venue. So I think, announce
the dates, and bust ass to get the accommodation we want, which,
really, is largely sorted, it's just the paperwork.