Re: [Debconf-team] Three things to note please

Hi Nigel
On Thu, Sep 10, 2015 at 3:08 PM, Nigel Kukard <nkukard@lbsd.net> wrote:
Hi team,

On Thursday, September 10, 2015 02:59:39 PM Bernelle Verster wrote:
>Hi team
>
>I would like you to take note of three things that we are busy developing,
>that was also briefly mentioned in last night's meeting. I want you to take
>note of them now, to start the bike-shedding and share ideas, while there
>is lots of time, and then we can use the bike-shedding as constructive
>input.
>
>Because we're so early, there are no hard deadlines or any things yet.
>
>1. Team-builder event
>I want to contact a lady in Cape Town. She is involved in Arduino Cape
>Town, but she is also hosting weekly Maker events called Modern Alchemists
>[1]. I want to engage with her about a DebConf sponsored/hosted/contributed
>event to build our team and spread awareness. I have not contacted her yet,
>so I don't know requirements or budget or anything yet, will do so on the
>weekend. So this bike-shed has a bit of a deadline. Once I have contacted
>her and we've brainstormed a bit, I will feedback to you to share the ideas
>we came up with, so you can help us think and address any concerns.

In terms of budget, for volunteers and kick-off like meets/sprints I'd say a reasonable value is around 1k EUR in Rands in total.
Noted.

The reason why I suggested paying for dinner on Tuesday for those committing to tasks is that is a commitment being made to help us out (an the cost per head is insanely cheap for a beer + pizza, $10 or so if you conver to USD or like 6 EUR). To spark interest and excitement, this is a very reasonable price to pay imho.
There was about ten people at that dinner. The people who were there and on the DC16 team were there in (mainly) CLUG capacity. The rest were there *only* in CLUG capacity. So it was in no way relevant to DebConf. Yes, DC discussions happened, but there were no new teammembers/tasks committed. So I feel rather strongly that it wasn't appropriate to use DC funds there. The event I propose may or may not have DC committed people, but the entire point of the event is to gain new teammates and let it be known that DebConf is coming to Cape Town. I think that's worth paying for.
I do agree that things like team dinners or sprints to do e.g. website stuff or budget stuff or braais can be paid for by DC funds. It's practically slave labour :)
I think once I've chatted to Robyn and we get a thumb-suck itemised budget, these issues may become more concrete and we can discuss it on a point-by-point basis.

If we are to pay for another event just to gauge interest I'd start to disagree with using DC funds. Unless we only cover something like pizza and a beer for those making commitments.

-N

DO NOT send email to this address:
nkukard2ae8b3@lbsd.net