Re: [Debconf-team] DebConf budgeting (was: Spending Debian money on travel sponsorship)

On 25/08/15 at 20:22 +0200, martin f krafft wrote:
> So how does the following process sound?
>
>   1. Bursaries (and all other teams for themselves) gauges the
>      amount of money they'd like to have in their budget. This
>      is difficult and will take a few iterations, especially since
>      we're all new at this, so let's not wait too long…
>
>   2. We try to allocate budgeted funds in a sensible way, and
>      get the result approved as the first budget.
>
>   3. Now the teams can work within the funds available and progress
>      can be made on all fronts. While the income situation is
>      unclear, some positions will be budgeted more conservatively
>      than others, but things can keep moving, or at least it's clear
>      what can and cannot be done while not enough funds have been
>      raised.
>
>   4. When teams encounter that their needs are outside of budget,
>      they apply for a budget extension. In the case of the day trip
>      or entertainment, the answer might only be yes if the income
>      situation allows for it (requests should be processed
>      altogether at defined points in time). But in the case of e.g.
>      video team or travel sponsorship needs, Debian funds might get
>      allocated if the DC fundraising income does not provide for it.

For the record (not that it matters much :-) ), that matches quite well
how I hope the Debconf budget will work in the future.

> Does this sound like something we could try?

I wonder if it would help things a bit to have each time work with an
specific interval of money they could receive. For example, the outreach
team could say 'To do something useful, we need at least $1000 [sponsor
one attendee], and I don't see how we could need more than $6000.'

That's slightly more work for the teams because they need to think about
the hypothesis of receiving more money, but that's something they should
do anyway.

Lucas