Re: [Debconf-team] [Coordination] Timeline changes proposal for DC16

Hello Gaudenz,

On 25.08.2015 09:11, Gaudenz Steinlin wrote:

> Giacomo Catenazzi <cate@debian.org> writes:
>
>> Hello Marga,
>>
>>> On 24 Aug 2015, at 23:48, Margarita Manterola <margamanterola@gmail.com> wrote:
(...)
>>> When the registration period opens, everyone needs to fill in all
>>> their registration data (dates of attendance, t-shirt size, food/accom
>>> choice, etc). This avoids a problem that we've had over and over of
>>> people filling in random dates when signing up, and then never
>>> correcting them,
>>> or people registering because we tell them to, but
>>> then never reconfirming, because they don't intend to attend anymore.
>>
>> I don’t follow it. I think we will have the same problem with people
>> not registering but with preregistration.
>
> But with calling it preregistration and making clear that it's mostly
> for people who request sponsorship there will be less cancelations.

I still not follow that reasoning.

Most of people with pre-registration are sponsored people. Other people
tend to register late, many non-sponsored attendes also after (old)
"reconfirmation" (and this was one source of complain). This is true
especially for professional which are not 100% sure to attend. I tried
hard to convince some of them to register as earlier as possible.

So I don't see any change (and improvement) copared to previous year.
OTOH we should not care so much about not sponsored people: the final
registration should be set to that we can (probably) accommodate all
registered people.

An other doubt: should pre-registration be closed after sponsorship
deadline (and be open only for sponsored people) or anybody could
pre-registrer, before opening the final-registration?  (the first could
help having better number, but as I wrote above, most of people tend to
wait the deadlines, so not a big improvement of quality of numbers until
"closing registration".

ciao
	cate