Re: [Debconf-team] Please have a mailing list for content team

On Tue, Feb 24, 2015 at 06:00:20PM +0100, martin f krafft wrote:
> also sprach Margarita Manterola <margamanterola@gmail.com> [2015-02-24 16:45 +0100]:
> > However, with the new organization, a lot of matters fall in the hands
> > of the content team that really don't warrant any secrecy
> > (organization of sprints, conference schedule, call for proposals,
> > etc).
>
> I'm with David Bremner and don't think we need another list,
> especially since e.g. conference schedule is not really just content
> team realm, but a task that requires collaboration from whatever
> team does the venue and general logistics.
>
> > Many of us that are not in the content team would like to be able
> > to read and/or participate in this discussions.  It's not in the
> > spirit of Debian nor DebConf to have this discussions hidden from
> > the rest.
>
> I agree with you that we don't want cabals and secrecy. However, we
> should also make sure that we're ready for this, that is that having
> possibly endless public discussions does not prevent people in
> charge from making decisions in a timely manner.

I feel, if I understand her correctly, as Marga does about this and said
so in the meeting.

I don't necessarily want to subscribe to another list, but do want to be
able to look back at a public archive to understand why certain
decisions were made in order to provide informed feedback and input.

As for having it on -team ... you have said many times in various ways
that we need to trust teams to do their work and make their decisions,
which I think I mostly agree with. I don't know if it's the right way or
best way to get to that goal, but it seems likely to me that a separate
public list could be a mechanism to mentally and logistically provide
that autonomy while also providing transparency.

That said, using -team, imho would be better than the content@ alias,
just by virtue of being public. It might require something of a cultural
shift and change of thinking for many of us (myself definitely included)
to provide a sub team with input, advice and opinions w/o trying to
control or micro-manage that sub team's decisions.

-edrz