Re: [Debconf-team] Bursaries "sprint" at FOSDEM

David Bremner <david@tethera.net> writes:

> We had two in person meetings related to DebConf bursaries at FOSDEM,
> over the weekend of Jan. 31 - Feb. 1.
>
> At the main meeting, we had myself, Gregor Hermann, Martín "Tincho"
> Ferrari, Nattie Mayer-Hutchings, Ana Guerrero Lopez, Stefano
> "tumbleweed" Rivera, Giacomo "cate" Catenazzi, Margarita "Marga"
> Manterola, and, Maximiliano "maxy" Curia. Hopefully I didn't forget
> somebody.
>
> The topic of this meeting was (a) what role should financial need play
> in ranking applications for

Gah. Sorry. Highlights a flaw with using gpg-agent, auto signing
messages sent by mistake.

Anyway, the point was to talk about (a) what role financial need should
play in ranking applications for travel sponsorship (we already decided
to skip that for food and accomodation sponsorship at the previous IRC
meeting [1]).  We went around the circle discussing this, and the
concensus was that
1) Financial need was at least as important as contributions in ranking
people for travel sponsorship
2) Only financial need by itself is not sufficient for sponsorship.

We didn't get as far as deciding a process that satisfies these
principles.

The second topic we discussed at this meeting was what questions to ask
people about financial need. We decided on a self assessment as the only
practical approach. We decided on a multiple choice question
approximately like what I put in [2] (Level of Finacial (sic) Need).

At the second meeting, it was just Cate, Nattie and I, working out the
rest of the bursaries related questions to ask. The results of this are
reflected in [2].

[1]: https://wiki.debconf.org/wiki/Teams/Assistance/Meetings/Bursaries
[2]: mid:[🔎] 8761bkkqvl.fsf@maritornes.cs.unb.ca