Re: [Debconf-team] Questions about DebConf bids

Cate asked:
> Late arrival: do the accommodation (for venues) allow very late arrivals?

So, for Cape Town:

We haven't figured out all the details of registration, yet. But there
should be no difficulty with this. We'll be the only people using the
residence hall that we're accommodating attendees in.

However, not many international flights arrive in the evening, they
usually arrive in the morning.

> Do we have a 24h hacklab?

Yes, we should. We may have to issue attendees with access cards, as
some buildings require access cards to enter, at all times of day. If we
do this, 24hr access would be no issue at all.

> What about dressing standards e.g. barefoot, shirtless at venue?

Cape Town tends to be quite relaxed, but some places are more formal
than others. In general, you won't be served alcohol or food without a
shirt, and often not let into a bar, without shoes.

I went through most of my time at UCT (8 years or so) barefoot in
summer, and shod in winter. It was occasionally an issue (laboratories
tended to require shores, and building sites too). But generally not.

In Cape Town, open sandals / flip flops usually qualify as shoes :)

> Age restrictions (without parents) in venues? in bar/restaurants?
> [18 is IMHO enough, 16 better].

18, but there's nobody at the door who'll check. Only night clubs / busy
bars have bouncers checking ID.

> Are children (with parents) welcome in the venue?

Yes! And there is on-campus child care, too.

> Are there public holidays on proposed dates? Special big events? Elections?

No.

> Identifications: Should people wear a badge inside campus? (with photo?)

No, but we may have to carry university ID cards, for self-service
access control.  These usually have photos, but for an event like this,
they may not.

ROT13 this entire section. DebConf's mail server is being difficult:

> Zbarl: ner gurer NGZ arneol?  Ubj qvssvphyg vf gb znxr cnlzrag jvgu
> perqvg pneqf (be jvgubhg perqvg pneqf) ?

Gurer ner NGZf sbe nyy gur znwbe Fbhgu Nsevpna onaxf ba gur HPG hccre
pnzchf (5 zvaf jnyx sebz naljurer lbh'yy or). Gurl nyy npprcg sbervta
IVFN naq ZnfgrePneqf.

Nzrevpna Rkcerff vfa'g jvqryl npprcgrq. Fbzrgvzrf ng erfghnenagf, ohg
eneryl. Naq arvgure vf QVFPBIRE - V qba'g guvax V'ir rire frra vg
npprcgrq.

Zbfg erfgnhenagf naq fubcf npprcg perqvg pneqf. Gnkvf naq vasbezny
fryyref trarenyyl jba'g. Rirelobql npprcgf pnfu.

Crgeby trarenyyl pna'g or obhtug ba perqvg pneqf, bayl pnfu, qrovg
pneqf, be Fbhgu Nsevpna crgeby pneqf. Ohg fbzr crgeby fgngvbaf npprcg
perqvg pneqf.

Fbhgu Nsevpn hfrf Puvc&Cva pneqf, ohg fubhyq fgvyy npprcg nzrevpna
fvtangher-bayl chepunfrf.

SR

--
Stefano Rivera