Re: [Debconf-team] Questions about the Cape Town bid

Hi All

On 01/17/2015 09:49 AM, Richard Hartmann wrote:
> I don't think it's good to have per-user logins managed by the
> university; can we get confirmation that setting up our own eduroam
> realm would be OK?
> Even better if we could establish our own SSID on their infrastructure.

I met with Bruce Fielies of ICTS yesterday,
He said they could provide us with a single login for all delegates
which will give us wireless access and bypass the proxies (which may
not even exist in 2016).
They could give us our own SSID, but he didn't seem to think it would
be necessary.

> Is it possible to get firewall exemptions? At least for our servers,
> better for just everyone.

We can definitely get static IP addresses and inbound firewall
exceptions for our servers.
I don't know if this will be possible for machines that will move around.

Bruce said they can give us incoming and outgoing international
bandwidth allocations as well as guaranteed bandwidth between
buildings.

Regarding wireless, Bruce said the access points in the newest venues
have both 2.4 and 5.2 radios.  He suggested using the newest venues
where possible as they have generator backup and the best
connectivity.

Overall, I got the impression that ICTS completely support out bid and
would be very accommodating in order to meet our requirements.

Regards
Graham