Re: [Debconf-team] DC15 - Prices and deals for non-sponsored attendees

also sprach Guido Trotter <ultrotter@gmail.com> [2015-01-19 17:57 +0100]:
> FYI people getting paid in Euros didn't suddenly get a 20% raise,

No, but we effectively earned 20 % too much over the last years by
being paid in a currency that was artificially valued higher than
its worth. Anyway, debconf-macroecononics might be the better list
for this.

Add to this, at a target inflation rate of 2 %, the 500 CHF from
2013 are now 435 €, so 400 € would be too little IMHO. OTOH, 450
€ seems a bit weird and I doubt corporates will actually care about
those 50€ (or the 67 €).

We can argue about professionals though. 200 CHF in 2013 would be
173 € now, so 175 € seems accurate.

But we should really not look at the past and decide the present
based on that. We should really just look at (a) what we need, and
(b) estimate what people would be willing to pay.

The difference between 150 € and 200 € over a week is 7 €/day.
That's two beers or one cocktail, and we often don't think much
about it before ordering one ;)¹

I personally think that 200 € is sensible for professional
registration. Otoh, I would suggest to leave the amount open and
just suggesting 200 €, but letting people easily commit to 30 €, 150
€ or even 300 €.

Corporates should just stay fixed at 500 €.

¹) though you should if you do so every day in a week.

: :'  :  DebConf orga team
`. `'`
  `-  DebConf15: Heidelberg, Germany: http://debconf15.debconf.org
      DebConf16: Cape Town or Montreal? https://wiki.debconf.org/wiki/DebConf16