Re: [Debconf-team] DC15 - Prices and deals for non-sponsored attendees

On 17/01/15 10:37, Margarita Manterola wrote:
> Hi!
>
> One of the things that we need to agree on before opening registration
> is attendee categories and prices for each of this.
>
> The hostel has agreed to handle the money for us.  So any registered
> non-sponsored attendee will just arrive to the hostel on their arrival
> day, and pay to the hostel the amount for their stay plus any
> appliable conference fees.  They will not need to pay in advance, and
> they'll be able to pay by cash or card (we should ask which).
>
> The cost for lodging+food for one person, from Sat 15th till Sun 22nd
> is EUR 270.
> Or EUR 300 if they stay since Friday.
>
> For the conference fees, in the past years we've charged:
> DC14: Professional: 200 USD, Corporate: 500 USD
> DC13: Professional: 200 CHF, Corporate: 500 CHF
>
> Given that this is ON TOP of the price, I don't think going for the
> same number in EUR is a good idea, i.e. I think asking Professionals
> to pay a total of EUR 500 is going to deter people from paying the
> fee... This is a hard exercise, we need to balance how much people are
> willing to pay with how much we would like to receive. I propose we
> lower the numbers a little, encouraging people to pay.
>
> My proposal is to have 5 categories:
>
> * Corporate: lodging+food (charged by the hostel per day of stay) + EUR 400
> * Professional: lodging+food (charged by the hostel per day of stay) + EUR 150
> * Self-paid: lodging+food (charged by the hostel per day of stay)
> * Semi-sponsored: EUR 150
> * Sponsored: EUR 0
>
> Maybe we need nicer names for self-paid and semi-sponsored... Any ideas?

* self-paid - non-sponsored?
* do we need semi-sponsored?

> I'd like to make self-paid the default when signing up, and have
> information to attendees about the categories with a message
> encouraging those who can pay to pay (something along the lines of:
> "There's a limit to the amount of attendees that we can sponsor,
> paying for your stay if you can afford it means other in need may get
> to come").
>
> Apart from this, I'd like to give some kind of recognition to anybody
> that helps pay for DebConf.  Some token of appreciation according to
> the amount they gave.  For semi-sponsred or self-paid it could be a
> debian sticker with a value of 1 or 2 EUR.  For prof and corp, it
> could be something with a value of 5 EUR or so (a mug maybe?), plus
> having their name and their company names in a webpage in the
> website...
>
> What do you all think about this?

Not sure if it's a good idea but maybe I'm missing something, I'd prefer
not to have those kind of difference, we always encourage people to
support DebConf by paying their food+accom and we always have a good
response of regularly DebConf attendees.

Regards,

--
Norman García