Re: [Debconf-team] registration metadata

On Mon, Apr 14, 2014 at 01:39:01PM -0400, Tássia Camões wrote:
> > On Montag, 14. April 2014, Steve Langasek wrote:
> >> This field is part of the penta schema primarily for use in roommate
> >> assignments, which are done based on sex, not gender.

> IMHO there is no sense in making room allocation based on sex instead
> of gender. I don't see why we need to know anyone's sex (the
> biological attribute).

> On top of that, at least from my experience in sharing rooms at
> Debconfs, we actually do it based on gender. Maybe what happens is
> that, in the lack of a "gender" field, people use "sex" to inform
> about their gender identity.

Sex is (approximately) a binary value.  Gender is not binary.  Which of the
wide range of gender identifiers do you propose that we use for conference
registration, which won't lead in turn to a different bikeshed discussion
about the list of choices?

  http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlines/2014/02/heres-a-list-of-58-gender-options-for-facebook-users/

And once you've settled on a list of gender options that everyone is happy
with, how does this help the team with the actual goal of assigning
roommates?

This is not hugely relevant for this year in any case since as mentioned,
roommate assignment will happen through the PSU registration site.  Perhaps
for next year, those in charge of accomodation assignment will have some
specific ideas about how to best handle this question.  If so, that should
be done with an *additional* gender field; and for this year, the only
purpose is statistical, so we'll open registration with whatever fields
happen to be available at the time - whether that's only 'sex' or both 'sex'
and 'gender'.  If someone finds it's worth gathering gender statistics
separately from sex, then feel free to extend the model:

git+ssh://git.debian.org/git/debconf-data/summit.git
summit/debconf_website/models.py

(https://wiki.debconf.org/wiki/Summit)