Re: [Debconf-team] registration metadata

Le lundi, 14 avril 2014, 13.39:01 Tássia Camões a écrit :
> > On Montag, 14. April 2014, Steve Langasek wrote:
> >> This field is part of the penta schema primarily for use in
> >> roommate assignments, which are done based on sex, not gender.
>
> IMHO there is no sense in making room allocation based on sex instead
> of gender. I don't see why we need to know anyone's sex (the
> biological attribute).
>
> On top of that, at least from my experience in sharing rooms at
> Debconfs, we actually do it based on gender.

This has not been my impression, fwiw, but I have no hard data to
confirm it. I do feel that allocating rooms according to sex is way less
surprising than allocating rooms according to gender (but can agree that
this feeling is highly influenced by my cultural biases).

> Maybe what happens is that, in the lack of a "gender" field, people
> use "sex" to inform about their gender identity.

A possible way out would be to query _both_ and _also_ ask whether on
which criteria their room allocation should be.

Of course that'd create two groupings and complicate the room allocation
quite a lot, but I don't feel the two opinions are really compatible or
allow for a consensus position.

Cheers,
OdyX