Re: [Debconf-team] German two-bid strategy

martin f krafft dijo [Thu, Mar 06, 2014 at 02:38:57PM +0100]:
> > >   C) Heidelberg's venue burns down, so the team falls back to
> > >      using Munich;
> > >      → everyone happy, for a lesser DebConf is better than no DebConf.
> >
> > Actually - no, not everyone is happy, because a different venue
> > outside Germany would have then been a better choice.
>
> If by that time, the other team is still ready to go, then yes, this
> could happen.
>
> I consider it much more likely that post-bid-decision, one team
> disintegrates and the other starts working together more. So if the
> first choice burns down, I think the existing and active team will
> be much better off at finding a solution than an inactive team
> would, especially if the active team has worked with a backup plan
> from the start.

Right, we will be choosing a team. But we will also be expressing the
preference for a place. Both things at once. Disgregating it to two
different bids makes things be unnecessarily more complex. And your
competing bidding team is right to feel at a disadvantage. Of course,
they could have done the same, but they didn't do so in time.

> I think you are suggesting that if the first option fails, having
> a second option available on which you have not spent as much time
> is worse than having no second option available. If you look at past
> DebConfs, I think you will conclude that it would have been *really*
> *good* in some cases, had a team already started developing a backup
> solution — even at low power — before the preferred option fell over.

Umf... Remember that for DC13 a lot of teeth-gnashing (to put it VERY
mildly) erupted because at some point there was the discussion whether
Le Camp would be the right venue. The Swiss bid *did* include more
than one location, but the other possibilities were clearly mentioned
as "backup venue plans"¹. However, the proposed venue was *one*. And I
doubt the Latvian team (to whose lead your mail was answered) felt
tricked by having several competing sub-bids. Of course, the Latvian
team also offered a primary and a backup location². But clearly
marking them as such.

Still, we had a huge flamefest while considering a backup site.

¹ https://wiki.debconf.org/wiki/DebConf13/Switzerland/Bid#Backup_Venue_plans
² https://wiki.debconf.org/wiki/DebConf13/Latvia#Conference_Facilities