Re: [Debconf-team] DebConf dinner: which style

Tiago Bortoletto Vaz dijo [Fri, Dec 05, 2014 at 08:52:10AM -0500]:
> >Personally, I am leaning towards common plates or buffet as that's
> >more lively and the latter increases mingling and interaction. It also
> >solves the problem of portions which are too small/large, etc.
>
> That's also my opinion.
>
> Another point I'd like to bring is the 'ritual' part of the dinner.
> I've really missed that in the recent conferences. I remember it in
> my first DebConfs, where we had a short speech from the DPL (and by
> anyone willing to talk) opening the dinner. This was quite special,
> we all together in a so positive energy... we need that :) I know it
> doesn't depend only on local logistics, but in part it does (eg. try
> to wait for ~everybody arrival before serving, improvising a stage
> etc).

I agree with this. I *think* we moved the "bits of the DPL" to be part
of the programmed events in the venue because:

1. To have video coverage
2. Because in several DebConfs the dinner has not been in
   auditorium- or regular room-style setting, which made listening to
   the speech difficult or impossible for many of the attendees
3. Later on, because we had already made this switch, and having the
   DPL address during the conference dinner was no longer expected

But, were it to be possible, I adhere to Tiago's appreciation: It is a
nice part of the ritual.