Re: [Debconf-team] Rough timeline idea for DC15 and the CfP

On Thu, Dec 04, 2014 at 11:05:11AM +0100, Michael Banck wrote:
> Heya,
>
> For DebConf15, we have been trying to push ahead the schedule a bit if
> possible. Our main aim with starting fundraising early was so that
> we could have a shot at confirming travel sponsorships with enough time
> for people to buy tickets on offer, rather than when prices are already
> rising.
>
> So in order to put something on the plate for the coordination team
> foundation meeting as a topic for discussion, I'd like to present a
> rough plan we've been floating around. This plan has been conceived in
> a backwards timeline order under the following assumptions:
>
>   - The conference is in August, and cheap airfares are usually widely
>     available until about 3–4 months in advance.
>
>   - Therefore, in April, it would be good to have bursary decisions.
>
>   - Which means that registration should ideally open in March
>
>   - And by that time, we would like to have at least some events/talks
>     announced for people to make an informed decision.
>
>   - Which in turn means the CfP should be sent out in January till
>     mid-February.
>
>   - And also that the content part of summit needs to be setup by then.
>
> For many people, the decision of registering to attend DebConf depends
> on work and family, and priorities will depend also on the conference
> offerings.  On the other hand registering blindly for DebConf is
> being done by some of the regulars (because event offerings aren't top
> priority anyway), but this probably doesn't apply to the majority.

IIRC, in summit you need to register for attending the conference before
sending an event. So registration must definitively be open before the CFP.
Closing the CFP in mid-february will be bad because plenty of people won't
know if they are attending debconf or not yet and they won't submit talks.
On the other side, you will have plenty of talks submittions that will need
to be cancelled because people won't attend the conference. So you would be
announcing stuff that might happen or not ...

Ana