[Debconf-team] Rough timeline idea for DC15 and the CfP

Heya,

For DebConf15, we have been trying to push ahead the schedule a bit if
possible. Our main aim with starting fundraising early was so that
we could have a shot at confirming travel sponsorships with enough time
for people to buy tickets on offer, rather than when prices are already
rising.

So in order to put something on the plate for the coordination team
foundation meeting as a topic for discussion, I'd like to present a
rough plan we've been floating around. This plan has been conceived in
a backwards timeline order under the following assumptions:

  - The conference is in August, and cheap airfares are usually widely
    available until about 3–4 months in advance.

  - Therefore, in April, it would be good to have bursary decisions.

  - Which means that registration should ideally open in March

  - And by that time, we would like to have at least some events/talks
    announced for people to make an informed decision.

  - Which in turn means the CfP should be sent out in January till
    mid-February.

  - And also that the content part of summit needs to be setup by then.

For many people, the decision of registering to attend DebConf depends
on work and family, and priorities will depend also on the conference
offerings.  On the other hand registering blindly for DebConf is
being done by some of the regulars (because event offerings aren't top
priority anyway), but this probably doesn't apply to the majority.

We're hoping that the above makes sense, and we are looking forward to
feedback.

Michael