Re: [Debconf-team] Hacking vs. free time (was: General schedule proposal for dc15)

Hi,

On Sun, Sep 21, 2014 at 8:46 PM, martin f krafft <madduck@debconf.org> wrote:

> Seriously, I wonder why we are discussing this, as we are speaking
> about exactly the same concept: larger periods of continuous (free)
> time in the schedule which people can use for hacking. But since
> they are not required to hack, why call it hacking time, rather than
> just leaving it free?

Because the name does change the way it is perceived.  If you call it
"free time", then most people will just consider it "beer time". If
instead you call it "hacking time", there's still people who will go
out or do whatever, but for many it will be an opportunity to make
something useful.

Of course, nobody is going to go policing what you can and can't do,
but the name changes the expectation and the attitude for the general
attendees.

--
Besos,
Marga