Re: [Debconf-team] RFC: (Hopefully) Last draft of the dc15 sponsorship brochure

On Thu, Sep 11, 2014 at 2:31 AM, Steve Langasek <vorlon@debian.org> wrote:

> You certainly can have too much money; frankly, I'm surprised that anyone on
> the team would suggest otherwise.
>
> The simplest provable definition of "too much money" is if the conference
> has become so tainted by corporate messaging in exchange for that money,
> that we no longer have enough Debian folks interested enough to come to the
> conference to use up our travel sponsorship budget.
>
> I don't say that this is the case with the current plan, but I think it /is/
> important to recognize that being too "successful" at fundraising does
> actually represent an existential danger to DebConf.

You seem to be mixing up "having a lot of money" and "selling out".
They can be correlated, agreed.

Yet, in the context of what madduck said, I read this as a "making
more money is better" and I agree with that sentiment.

> For clarification: does the fact that these expenses are not tax-exempt pose
> problems for the non-profit status of the organization as a whole?  Or does
> it "just" mean additional tax paperwork / tax to be paid?

IANAL, but from what we gathered it's the former.

Richard